Urinary incontinence (UI) can be caused by a wide range of factors such as normal aging, menopause, obesity, prostate cancer, smoking, or childbirth that lead to weakening pelvic floor muscles.
Subsequently, pelvic organs are insufficiently supported, leading to symptoms associated with UI, such as frequent urine leakage when sleeping, laughing, or lifting heavy objects.
Emsella treatments allow men and women to regain control over their bodies, reducing the burden of urinary incontinence. Incontinence can significantly affect patients socially, financially, and mentally.
Emsella can treat stress UI, urge UI, and mixed UI. This article will cover the benefits of emsella treatment on men and women.
How Emsella works
Emsella is a non-invasive treatment option for urinary incontinence in men and women of any age. It typically consists of a chair-like device called a BTL Emsella. The BTL Emsella can send focused high-intensity electromagnetic energy upwards to men’s or women’s pelvic floors stimulating the pelvic muscles and nerves in the surrounding tissue.
One Emsella session lasts around 30 minutes and is equivalent to 10,000 Kegel exercises (Kegels- pelvic floor exercises). The procedure is relatively safe with few known side effects aside from a slight tingling sensation as the electromagnetic waves stimulate the pelvic muscles.
Benefits For Women
Emsella has numerous benefits for women experiencing incontinence, especially after childbirth or due to natural aging. The benefits for women are:
- Increased pelvic floor muscle coordination. Women undertaking the therapy experience increased coordination as the muscles are stimulated during the therapy. Also, muscle coordination increases due to increased neuromuscular control as the nerve endings are stimulated.
- Restoration of normal urinary and fecal continence. Improved muscle coordination and nerve stimulation allow women to control urine flow better, reducing leakage during sleep or exercise.
- Increased tissue repair and healing. The procedure stimulates the pelvic region increasing the growth of protein filaments and muscle fibers, leading to the repair and healing of aged or scared tissue.
- Reduction of pelvic congestion. The increased blood flow reduces the fluid that accumulates in the pelvic region.
- Promotion of internal scar forming after cesarean section childbirth. Emsella stimulates the growth of protein filaments and muscle fibers, allowing internal healing of scars after childbirth. It also improves bladder control in women who may have developed incontinence.
Benefits For Men
Similar to women, Emsella has numerous benefits for men. The most common benefits for are:
- Strengthening the pelvic floor muscles. Stimulation of the muscular tissue using high-intensity focused electromagnetic waves that cause relaxation and constriction of muscles. As a result, physical changes occur in the muscle structure due to the growth of protein filaments and muscle fibers.
- Increased blood flow to the pelvic area. Increased muscular activity is also associated with increased blood flow to the organs in the pelvic region, including muscles that control the flow of urine.
- Alternate treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). Emsella can be used to treat ED in the place of pharmacological treatments such as Viagra or Cialis, which are associated with some potentially life-threatening side effects in extreme cases. It can also be used by patients who no longer respond to other conventional ED treatments.
- Increased intimacy satisfaction due to reduced premature ejaculation and sustained erections. This is due to increased blood flow and improved neuromuscular control due to the procedure’s stimulation of the tissue in the region.
- Faster healing of the tissue in the pelvic region. Emsella can be used after prostate cancer treatments to promote healing as it improves blood flow in the region and promotes the growth of new fibers and filaments.
Benefits For Both Men and Women
Aside from unique benefits for both men and women, Emsella has been shown to have some common benefits across the genders. Both men and women can gain benefits such as:
- Significantly improved quality of life. The incontinence symptoms significantly decrease the quality of life, allowing patients to seek treatment. Studies have shown that the procedure can reduce the frequency of leakage, the amount of urine leaked, and the level of interference with daily life after only six sessions that last around 30 minutes to an hour.
- The minimally invasive procedure with fast recovery time. The procedure involves seating on the emsella chair fully clothed with the high-intensity focused electromagnetic wave passed through the chair. The nature of the procedure allows patients to walk in and out on the same day after less than two hours.
- Painless and non-surgical procedure. The procedure involves sending electromagnetic waves into the pelvic region with skin incisions or injections. Therefore, it is painless, with only a slight tingling sensation described by some patients.
- A high patient satisfaction rate. Almost 95% of patients who undergo the procedure are estimated to be satisfied with the results. Around 35% of patients might achieve continence, with all other patients experiencing a 65% reduction in incontinence symptoms such as leakage.
- Increased satisfaction during sexual intercourse. Though initially created to treat urinary and fecal incontinence, emsella was found to improve orgasms for patients. Patients receiving emsella treatment have stated experiencing improved sexual performance after starting treatment.
- Strengthened pelvic muscles were also associated with increased intimacy or restoration of sex life before incontinence in both men and women. Naturally, as the body ages or after childbirth, the pelvic floor loses its elasticity and muscle tone, and experiences reduced blood flow. Strengthening the pelvic muscles to treat incontinence stimulates increased blood flow, muscle tone, and elasticity that restores intimacy.
- Increased sexual desire after treatments. The procedure increases blood flow and tissue repair to the pelvic region leading to increased arousal. An additional benefit recorded is increased lubrication in women.
Emsella offers numerous benefits to both men and women. All patients with incontinence can expect to recover some control over their bodies, with around 35% expected to experience continence.
Women can also increase tissue repair and scar healing after childbirth. Men also experience reduced erectile dysfunction and intimacy satisfaction.
Emsella can significantly improve the quality of life for men and women experiencing incontinence. You can contact us for more information on Emsella eligibility and results. In addition, book an appointment today for treatment.